Well I got 2014 off with a bang I managed to review 19 books on the blog which is the most I have acheived for a couple of years and I have read 16 books also my best ever start for a year .So I decide it is about time I brought back the month end round up posts .A great start here is what I read in January –
- the art and craft of approaching your head of department to submit a request for a raise by Georges Perec france
- The confusion of young Törless by Robert Musil Austria
- Naomi by Jun’ichirō Tanizaki Japan
- Pietr the Latvian by Georges Simenon Belgian
- Miruna ,a tale by Bogdan Suceavă Romanian
- The restaurant of love regained by Ito Ogawa Japan
- Zenith Hotel by Oscar Coop – Phane france (review in march )
- The people in the photo by Helene Gestern france (review in feb)
- The lonely hearts club by Raul Nunez argentina
- The last day of a condemned man by Victor Hugo France
- Botchan by Natsume Soseki Japan
- The space between us by Zoya Pipzad Iran
- The infatuations by Javier Marias spain
- The castle of whispers by Carole Martinez France
- The front seat passenger by Pascal Garnier france
- Crumbs by Miha Mazzini Slovenia
As you see a real mix but with French novels and Japanese to the fore .I think the real gem of the month is Zenith Hotel a book that comes out in march but one that I read and instantly called the best book I had read for a long time .I enjoyed taking part in Tony’s January in Japan event again .
Books read 2014 to date – 16
Countries read from – 9
Next month – Well Pushkin press fortnight is at the end of the month I have a couple I read last year to review for that and also halfway through a couple on my kindle .I’ve a new French crime series to start .
What were your highlights for January ?